The Cardinal Golf Club is located in America's Historic Heartland, Fort Lee, Virginia, near the confluence of the James and Appomattox rivers, south of Richmond. This strategic location provides Fort Lee with a proud history that dates back to the revolutionary war. Today Fort Lee is the third largest training center in the Army. The original 18 (White and Red) of the 27-hole championship course was built in 1947 and the third nine (Blue) opened in 2002.
The PondHawk systems are located in the rough on the north side of the pond and on the east side of the pond near the Fort Lee water tower.
This installation at Fort Lee is an example of the US Army's Program for Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (US Army MWR) efforts to pursue environmental certification through the Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program (ACSP for Golf).
The Army's MWR Program maintains and operates 45 separate golf courses around the globe for enjoyment by golfers of all levels. US Army golf courses are found throughout the US, Hawaii, Alaska, and overseas locations such as Japan, Korea, and Europe.